Sunday, February 15, 2009

I'm Sorry (Personal)

I have a friend who we'll call "Alex" that I have been best friends with since the first grade. She means the world to me and knows every single thing about me; I swear she has a "Mindy sense" because I never need to tell her if anything is wrong, she just knows. Unfortunately, Alex is also the only one of my friends that I tend to get in disputes with. However, since we both know one another so well it can be too easy to push one an other's buttons or discovers one's reasoning behind their actions. Surprisingly, this is what often times leads to are frustrations. Thankfully, with our past communication experiences I can examine those patterns to help define the truths behind our quarrels. 
Recently, Alex and I get into an argument over how we are away from each other at school and getting out priorities straight to see one another when we are home. We had miscommunication and took one an other's actions the wrong way. Our schedules did not align to see one another over Thanksgiving break, and I made Alex feel as if it was simply unimportant for me too see her. However, since Alex has been my best friend since the first grade I knew that know matter what she would always be there, and I had so many family obligations and prior plans with other friends I had already committed to. I was very disappointed that I did not get to see her, and Alex was upset too. I was able to predict how she would act due to our life-long friendship. Later, I employed qualitative research for my concerns with accurately understanding and describing how Alex was reacting to me not being able to see her. And after I few unanswered phone calls, I faced the harsh reality that I probably would not be talking to her until I saw her over Christmas break. This was extremely upsetting for me since I often have the urge to tell her about every aspect of my life. However, once we were able to communicate about the series of unfortunate events that occurred over the past three weeks while we were away we were able to understand one an other's motives and reconcile with one another. I was able to predict that we both needed to just be able to talk to one another about everything to make the other person understand our side of the story, and once we did our friendship became as strong as its always been even through the miles between the corn fields of Nebraska and the desert of Arizona. 

No comments:

Post a Comment