Sunday, March 29, 2009

Personal Blog

Health communication in people's lives often goes unnoticed. I never realized the theories and models that take place in effective health communication until this chapter. Also, all of the models really opened my eyes to the roles health communication has played in my life. When we were discussing it in class, I realized my life definitely maintains the stages of change model for exercising. 
For instance, I never thought anything of my work out cycle, even though I have noticed that unless I am in a rhythm it will be hard for me to go to the gym. For example, I could go work out everyday for a week, and it is not hard; it just becomes part of my thought process. However, the first day I do not work out, it suddenly becomes the hardest thing in the world to return to the gym the next day or whenever i finally talk myself into it. 
The stages of change model perfectly displays my thought process during these cycles. The cycle begins with pre-contemplation, my thoughts about wanting to get into shape. Then during the contemplation stage I acknowledge that I can work out in efforts to get in shape. Once I decide I am finally ready to get in shape, this will lead to my action of going to the gym. The difficult part after I have started going to the gym is maintaining this is my agenda. Especially since any day that I miss can allow me to relapse, in which case I would stop going to the gym. This cycle is very prominent in my work out schedule. I'm either on or off, and thankfully right now I'm on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment