Sunday, March 1, 2009

Who Am I? ( Personal)

I am Mindy Treon. My sex is female, but what is my gender? Gender is something that I have learned throughout life. I have two older brothers who I have shadowed my whole life. I use to be the biggest Tom Boy ever. Girly girl was never a term I had wanted to be associated with. My whole life I was aware of the stereotype that girls were suppose to have cute hair, play with dolls, like pink, and be fashionable. However, I rarely did my hair, loved sports, liked all colors, and wore my brothers clothes. Does this mean I am a boy? Obviously not, my XX female chromosomes are inevitable; however, my brothers more than society had a huge role in assisting my gender identification. 
Furthermore, when we conducted the experiment of assigning adjectives to women and men in class I found that I did not specially fit one or the other, but both. What was really strange to me was that even though many women are athletes our class only assigned athletic as a male trait. I for one do believe it is more fitting for the male stereotype, but thought it was ironic because it is a trait I have associated with myself my whole life. Also, as I have seen my father, brother, uncles, and cousins be amazing fathers, but I do not associate "nurturing" as a male characteristic; even though, it is definitely an essential trait for men to posses. This experiment helped me recognize the stereotypes society assigns to men and women, and my own personal choice to accept the stereotypes but not follow them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment