Sunday, March 22, 2009

Personal

In sports nonverbal communication is essential in order to defeat the other team. When I played softball nonverbal communication was a strategy, that each girl must have conquered. A single misinterpretation of the nonverbal signs could cost the team the game. 
To begin, not only before each at bat, but before each pitch my third base coach would give the batter a nonverbal sign. The nonverbal signs typically would be interpreted as hit and run, bunt, drag bunt, fake bunt, or do what ever you choose. These strategies can be key to winning or loosing a game. For example, if our coach puts on fake bunt and the batter does not do it, but the on base runner continues to run anyway it is more likely that the runner will get thrown out as they proceed to run to the next base. One may not think this is a big deal, but when that runner on second is the winning or tying run that miscommunication of the sign is huge. 
Furthermore, I use to be a catcher in softball when I was younger. The nonverbal communication between myself, the coach, and the pitcher between each pitch was essential. Normally, the coach would sign to me with different numbers, and I would then have to relay the message to the pitcher who would either continue to pitch that pitch to the assigned spot or shake it off. It was necessary for my pitcher and myself to be on the same page because I would not want to be expecting a curve ball when she threw a change up since that would effect my approach and reactions to the pitch. 
Ultimately, throughout my softball career nonverbal communication played a major role, and the difficulty of comprehending the signs strengthened when the competition did as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment