Sunday, April 5, 2009

Personal Organizational communication

My last two year of high school I was elected to Student Council. My junior year I was a class senator and my senior year I was Student Body Recording Secretary. The organizational communication within the class was different each year. My junior year the President ran the organization with downward communication, and my senior year was horizontal communication.

My junior year the class was ran more effectively with the Student Body President running the class off downward communication. The president, Peter, would take volunteers to head subgroups and then make sure other students were on the committees. Daily, he would check in with the leaders of the subgroups so the whole class could know where we stood with assemblies, dances, lunch cart, etc. This was effective because everyone filled there roll in the class. However, it often formed clicks because people typically joined the groups that their best friends joined. 

On the other hand, my senior year the student body President, Becca, ran the class with horizontal communication. I believe she cared a little more what people thought of her, so it was difficult to be the enforcer Peter was, even though she saw how he ran the organization. Within this organization we had many great ideas being discussed in the class but less action was definitely being taken. However, there were not as many clicks; the problem came because we all enjoyed talking to each other so much that own communication did not always stay on topic. We still managed to get stuff done, but most of the time Becca did not inform enough people what was going on, so a handful of people consistently did most of the work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment