Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Personal Group Com

When planning prom night junior year, I fell a victim to groupthink. Within the larger group I hung out with in high school their was a smaller group of 6 of us that were always together. I wanted to go to dinner with the larger group and participate in a backyard BBQ that my friends were having. However, my boyfriend at the time and the rest of our subgroup wanted to go out for dinner at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I thought it was rather ironic that the boys chose to spend more money because they normally do whatever they can to save a buck or two. I fought the idea of the steakhouse for about a day, but eventually I gave in because all of my closest friends preferred the steakhouse idea. Looking back on the occasion I still kick myself for not trying to change people's minds one at a time. I do not mean this in a manipulative manner (even though it may come off that way) I just wanted all of us to share our first prom with our larger group of friends. Regardless junior prom was still amazing, and senior prom was even more fun since everyone wanted to participate in the catered dinner that our parents were putting on in our friends backyard. I do not know if it was because the food was catered or because it was our senior year, but I definitely appreciated getting to spend before prom with our subgroup while being with our larger group. This is just one example of when I have changed my opinion to create less controversy with my small social group. 

No comments:

Post a Comment