Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rhetoric & Public Culture Applied

I have been to Mexico several times for different reasons. I have been there both on vacation with my family and on Mission Trips to build houses with my parish. No matter what ever the reason I find myself in Mexico, my time spent there is always eye-opening to the different realities of our world. 
Every time I leave Mexico I am always overwhelmed with a feeling of appreciation. I tend to appreciate our physical world a lot more after my trips to Mexico. It breaks my heart when I walk up to the houses where a family of ten might be living and it is smaller than my dorm room with no running water or secure roofing. Furthermore, I always become thankful for the little things in America's physical world that we live with in our day to day life style, such as cars, grocery stores, paved streets, bathrooms, and computers. The circumstances the citizens of Mexico live under astonish me. 
However, the circumstances are not what ultimately stands out to me, it is Hispanics social realm that impresses me. Despite all of the communities "set backs" in developments and technological advancements the families thankfulness and closeness is stronger than any families I have ever seen.  For example, the families always provide a nice home cooked Mexican meal for us as we build the house when they do not need to and normally do not have the money to support the cause, but the financial restrictions do not stop the families appreciation. After spending about thirty seconds with the different families I always feel I am amongst the most genuine love that can be bestowed in people. No matter what happens the families eternal love is present in their day to day interactions with one another. Also, their power of prayer is impeccable. The families are so thankful for us, the workers, and God and express their thankfulness repetitively while we are there. I love my trips to Mexico because they are eye opening to the different "worlds" different cultures live in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment