Sunday, April 26, 2009

personal mass com

"New research on the use of social networks in the United States finds that 55 percent of online teenagers use social networking on such Web sites as Facebook and Myspace, and 55 percent have posted an online personal profile" (Tubbs & Moss 546). I am part of the 55 percent that has fallen a victim to these social networking sites. However, I never really paid much attention to my accounts until college.

One reason college has affected my use of my social networking through Facebook is because I am half a country away from all of my best friends, friends, and family. And Tubbs & Moss claims that 82% of social networking users are on these networks to stay in touch with old friends (546). So even though I was going to Creighton, I never intended on having these important people not be a part of my life. Facebook has been a great way to accessibly communicate with friends from high school, who I may not have stayed in contact with, and to see how one another's college experience is going. However, five of my best girl friends from grade school, and myself have a "thread" on Facebook. This allows us to update one of each other on our lives in sort of an open email within the six of us. It has been a great way to all keep in contact and up to date with each other. I have truly appreciated the easy means of communication provided by Facebook.

Another reason I have used Facebook more since I have entered into college life is because it has helped me to communicate and learn things about my new classmates. Tubbs & Moss notes that 49% of users use Facebook to help make new friends (546). Facebook is very helpful when it comes to learning if you have anything in common with a new friend or even just to simply communicate to one another through chatting or comments. 

Overall, Facebook has had positive effects on my interpersonal communication through mass communication providers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment